Monday, August 4, 2008

TB TO LNM

TB TO LNM At Purulia, we have been known as TB group. TB represents Thakurdas Badrinarain.Thakurdasji was my great grand father and Badrinarainji was my grand father. Since more than 130 years, our family was doing business under that name and was recognized for our honest dealing. We grew from nothing to most leading business concern of the locality. And at Faridabad, it is known as LNM group and within factory, we including all our staff and workers are self designated as LNM Pariwar. LNM represents my name as LAXMINARAIN MALL .When I thought of exploring business at Faridabad, our family priest suggested to do business in my name and he further advised that I must make myself available and attached to the business for its prosperity and success. Otherwise I was inclined to do all in Sandeep’s name. LNM group as it stands today is the result of many year’s struggle and was not built up over night Yes, I had dreamt of the project and initiated it also, but three key persons are instrumental to make it as it is today besides sincere contribution from staff and workers. Hence to know how it all got built up, I must focus light on these three persons and their contribution first. When I joined business after graduation, we were into wholesale trade dealing in food grains, oil and oilseed, tobacco, yarn etc. It never gave me job satisfaction. I was always interested to create or manufacture something. But Purulia did not have necessary infrastructure or facilities for industrial growth. Under compulsion of situation, I continued in business .Our transition from trading to industry; shifting from Purulia to Faridabad and total transformation from TB to LNM owe a lot to following three persons. SRI A C MAHESHWARI (JIJAJI) The first and foremost person instrumental behind establishment of LNM group was my Jijaji. Yesterday I was present in the function organized to inaugurate his statue at the Holy Hope Foundation School. He was the founder chairman of the institution. It took me to the most refreshing and rewarding memories of my association and long contact with him. And today I have decided to put these memories into black and white in response to interest of some of my close staff who wanted to know all about how LNM got initiated. When I was 6 years old, he became my jijaji by virtue of his marriage with my cousin didi. I have blurred memory of him as the groom arriving at Howrah station with his barat. I have hazy memory of his subsequent visit to Purulia also. He was about 13 years senior to me. My first close interaction with him began during my marriage in 1965. He was with us for 10 days during the ceremony. He came all the way from AMRITSAR and accompanied us to NAGPUR for the marriage. He was the first person to congratulate me on my selection when he saw us as couple there. He presented us a view master with some very interesting photographs and slides from KHAJURAHO and KONARK temples to start with our married life. That was the opening of our intimate relationship which flourished with time. Next year when I happened to be in MUSSOORIE, he drove all the way from AMRITSAR to take me along with. I was forced to stay with him for 10 days, not only to enjoy his friendly fellowship but to learn all about steel rolling mill industries with a mind to explore into it. He ignited the spark within me and offered all possible help. In spite of my zeal and efforts, I could not succeed. Neither I was matured enough nor was PURULIA suitable for industries. Four years later in 1969/70 when he decided to move to Faridabad, he initiated to apply for an industrial land for me along with his up coming plant. But I was not in a position to leave Purulia and he had to withdraw the application on my request with great disappointment. There after I used to visit him more frequently with his shifting to Delhi. That made us very close. I had great entertaining time with him in and around Delhi and to Kullu Manali etc with him. But his emphasis for me to come into some enterprising business was always there. A congress convention was held at Calcutta sometime in 1987 perhaps. Jijaji along with Sri Bhajan lalji, the then chief minister of Haryana were there on the occasion. I too joined them at grand hotel. During conversation he narrated all about his efforts to bring me in to production line with nil result so far. Bhajanlalji could not believe that. Being pioneer of steel industry, he could have brought me easily in to any relevant industry. He took a commitment from me not to back track if one more effort be taken. I agreed to it and returned back to Purulia. In fact I did not take the conversation so seriously. To my amazement, after three or four months, one fine morning I found his representative coming all the way from Faridabad to Purulia with bunch of papers for me to sign with an instruction to send a sum of one lakh to start with. I had no opportunity to discuss the matter with babuji even. I had no alternative than to comply with the request. This is how it all began. He used to send the person with documents when ever necessary and I used to send fund as per his instructions. I had no idea about the project or the location of site where it was being installed to start with. Once I had to visit the site to take possession of the shed. Then only I could know how under developed and backward was the place known as ROZ KA MEO near Sohna in Haryana, about 60 kms from jijaji’s residence in Delhi. But I had full trust on his action and was ready to take over the challenge. Mean while Sandeep got engaged and was to be married on 30th Nov 1989. We performed opening pooja of our unit on 12th sept 1989. Shobha and Minoo as would -be -daughter in law attended the tiny ceremony with me. Some machines were installed; foreman and some staff were appointed. All this was done courtesy jijaji. Now it was my turn to run the plant. After Sandeep’s marriage, I took over the charge on and from 1st January 1990. My idea to hand over it to Sandeep from the beginning had to be deferred as per jijaji’s advice. He wanted Minoo to be at PURULIA for sometime to get acquainted with our family culture and customs. He also wanted me to be in charge to face the initial struggle period over. So unwillingly I had to be at the helm of affairs of this business for five years though Sandeep used to come over there in between. It was jijaji’s moral and otherwise support that I could carry on there with all the inconvenience. It was his and only his company that made me to live so away from family. In spite of all odds, he wanted me to succeed. I took over in January and in July I reported to him that our plant was likely to earn some profit for the first time after incurring initial loss. He was so delighted that he celebrated this happy information with champagne in presence of my visiting friend Biren. The glow on his face made me determined never to let him down with his trust up on me. His efforts to build my business platform since last twenty five years seemed to be heading towards positive ending. For the first year I stayed with him in Delhi around two weeks every month. Our factory was about sixty kms. I used to go to factory partially by auto and bus. It was a tough time and hard life but that made me love my plant more. Biscuit, banana and tea only were available as snacks or lunch. No suitable company was there to develop. My accepting the tough life made him confident of success and he provided all possible support to make me sustain my momentum. Unfortunately his business was on back foot since 1991 and could never recover in spite of his best efforts. But so far our unit was concerned, all possible and sometimes even out –of- way support was there from his side. After one year he managed to bring us in to a small flat very near to his factory to provide us his guidance and company at hand. He would visit us and take lunch with us at times. We used to meet almost everyday for good amount of time. On week ends we used to be together in Delhi. We became known as made for each other. All his staff and family members were very particular to be admiring and respectful to me. He was my guardian, friend, councilor and what not. At short notice or need we would visit each other even during odd times. We shared` all joy and worries of life during that period. From a rustic life in Purulia, he brought me to five star life style of Delhi. He taught me many lessons of life; from shaving, eating to meeting VIPs. He contributed a lot in shaping me and my surrounding in modern way but he always reminded me of my cultural and family root for which he had great respect. Today we are into export business by virtue of his support. He provided me the initial technical support to develop the first component to be exported. I was more intimate to him than even with my didi. Similarly he considered me more into his confidence than his brothers or sons. It was the shock of life to witness his rise and fall in business. With his sad and sudden demise, an era was over. It all began with a moderate beginning at Amritsar. In due course his business got spread over to Ballabgarh, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Govindgarh, Indore. Many national awards were rewarded to the group by different government agencies. Within his own life he could achieve this and unfortunately rounded off too. He was a far sighted person. He could visualize the future of his business and family, of late. That is why he got one of his sons settled in Dubai. It was his vision that he could institute a well equipped school for didi to run and manage it. It was on his 2nd death anniversary that his statue was installed there at the school campus. While going to our factory every day, we cross across his factory. It is painful to see the ruins. I have seen and enjoyed its glory with him for many years. I as well as Sandeep and all our family members who know his selfless contribution in building LNM AUTO will be ever grateful to him and will always cherish for his sweet memories. Even after death, he will remain a guiding and inspiring source to us. RAMAN, my friend. Good memories are the most precious of our treasures. Nurtured and caressed, they remain with us all our lives like favorite books. And to peep into the sweat memories of period spent and shared with friend is pleasant experience. What LNM Auto is today, it owes to Raman a lot. We have been very closely associated since childhood. This association has instilled its mark at many important crossings in my life. We were class mates from class 4 to 11 in Rajasthan Vidyapith, a hindi medium school. He was the topper in class from very beginning and continued to be so, though he was never a very systematic student. His conception about any subject was very clear and distinct. That made him the first boy with vast difference in grades. I was never near him. During early years we were never good friends. He used to tease me and was never in my group of friends in school though we had family relations. Perhaps while in class 6, we had been to Sindri on an educational tour to see the fertilizer plant there. Thereafter we were not in good terms for years, reason I don’t remember specifically. Gradually I improvised my result and was second to him in class ten. Then in matriculation board we both and only we both passed with first division from our school. Thereafter we came closer and became friends as ever. We both joined JK College with science stream. We used to go to same professor for tuition. We used to study together for hours in my home and he was very helpful to me in studies. But for some or other reason I could not come out with good result. He as usual passed with higher first division and I got second division. We decided to take admission at Ranchi or Chaibasa with Purulia having no good college for higher study. It was because of his company that my parents agreed to send me out of town for studies. We applied for admission into St. Xavier’s college, Ranchi. My application was not to be considered for admission with second division marks though he canvassed for me very strongly before the principal. Next day when we met the principal, he returned back our application forms with one accepted and one rejected. He had wrongfully rejected Raman’s application in place of mine. Raman did not allow him to rectify his mistake and pleaded so strongly for me that the principal had no choice but to accept us both to be admitted. Otherwise also, he had decided to be with me in any other college. We also took admission at Rajasthan Chhatrawas, about three miles away from college and thus became room partners in the hostel. In August 1961, our session started. We could feel the difference between Purulia college and St. Xavier’s. It was a very rustic and small college at Purulia with only five rooms, two trees as the common room specified for boys and girls to stay under during leisure periods, a small laboratory with one spirit lamp to work around and with no other facilities available though the teaching staff was good. On the other hand, St. Xavier’s was having a four storied building with more than fifty spacious and equipped rooms, laboratories, library and sports complex. It had three sessions going on in morning, day and evening in all three streams of arts, commerce and science with thousands of students around. In fact we felt to be lost in the vast sea of students initially. We faced great difficulty in matching with the situation, to start with. I decided to switch over to commerce to enlighten the burden. And it was Raman’s good gesture to switch over to commerce only to be together without any other consideration. Well ultimately good sense prevailed and we continued with science. This way, Raman’s influence had been there up on my life since quite early. It was due to his persuasion and company that I was permitted by parents to go to hostel and was in St.xavier’s. Otherwise I would have missed the golden opportunity of being in such college and hostel. I was a home sick person. I used to visit Purulia every week end. That hampered regular studies. Usually he used to be with me to Purulia. But he could make up the lapses through his God gifted extra intelligence. In hostel also, he was like guardian cum friend to me. Our room number was 14 and it used to be one of the dirtiest rooms in the hostel. In fact, we used to sleep in one bed out of two provided with and other one used as store. Although no one from my family ever visited us, we never allowed any distant visitor to enter into our room. One of our classmates, a charming south Indian girl, was Laxmiraman and we together constitute the same name. So in college boys used to call our names at a time to draw her attention and to annoy her. She could ultimately understand the reason after having clarified the matter with us. Following incidence will further reflect Raman’s impact on my education. Due to home sickness and frequent visit to Purulia I could not perform well in my first examination in spite of Raman’s help. I could not pass in one of the subjects. My preparation for the 2nd term was good but I got very nervous on the eve of examination. I wanted to escape away. But Raman persuaded me to appear in examination by any means and helped me to obtain pass marks in the same subject. There after he took me to the college notice board where it was clearly notified for every student to clear all the papers at least in one of the terminals. I could continue my studies further because of his insistence only. Thus the year ended. Raman passed with higher first division as usual and I was placed in 2nd division. And reluctantly we had to depart. He got admitted into engineering and I had to continue with B.Sc at St. Xavier’s. He took admission into BIT,Ranchi but soon got transferred to BIT, Sindri about 150 kms from Ranchi. Though leaving apart, we kept our contact intact. We used to meet at Purulia during vacations. In addition he used to visit Ranchi in between. He joined our hostel sponsored trip to Rajgir, Telaiya, Pawapuri and Hazaribagh National Park. It was a three days trip with about 50 wards from our hostel. Our photograph taken in the ruins of Nalanda is on my office table still. Its memory is still very refreshing. We enjoyed at all the places. In two years I completed my graduation when he was in the third year of engineering. We had an opportunity to visit Biratnagar in Nepal to attend one of our classmate’s marriage.. It was our first tour to any foreign country. We brought a lot of imported goods from there. Raman started importing stainless steel utensils from there. He was business minded from the very beginning. He had the urge to become self dependent even during student life. In 1965, I got married when he was in the final year of engineering. 11th May was my date of marriage and his final examination was to commence from 14th May. I had doubt about him being present at the ceremony. But he made it. He accompanied the barat to Nagpur, attended main ceremony on 11th, left for Purulia on 12th, reached Sindri on 13th and appeared in examination on and from 14th and scored as ever with higher first division. He was exceptionally brilliant. Next year he completed engineering and decided to go to US for further study. He executed all his plans by himself .To start with his plan was to return back after MS. He suggested me to plan accordingly to be in US for a pleasure trip together. I was blessed with Sandeep on 23rd July and he left for US on 4th September perhaps. I was there to see him off at Calcutta airport. When he was to board on to the plane, he put the motherland’s soil on his fore head. . That brought tears in our eyes. He was leaving away initially for one year only. But he was destined to be there for good. He did M.S and then PHD and got settled there gradually. He used to visit India frequently in quest for a suitable bride and ultimately engaged with Shashi bhabhi. We used to have good amount of time together when ever he be in India and in particular in Puruila. In addition we were in close contact through intermediate correspondence and sharing of our well being and developments at our ends very regularly. In 1972 he got married with Shashi Bhabhi at Jaipur. I was through out with him during the process of sermonizing the marriage ceremony from Purulia to Jaipur, which was enjoyed by all including his foreign friends. During that stay he informed about his plans to take an East West coast trip of US in next summer and he wanted me to join along with Shobha. So I started with its preparation. Meanwhile Shobha was conceived after seven years. It seemed that she would not be in a position to join the trip. Sangeet was to young to be taken with. Hence I had to go alone. Regarding US trip, I had mind to write about separately. Thus our friendship and intimacy remained intact in spite of living so apart. In fact it developed into an ever lasting relation. When ever he used to come down to India, we had very good opportunities to renew our relation. He was gracious to attend Sandeep’s marriage in 1989 with full family. By that time he was blessed with Amit and Ritu. I had also laid foundation of our manufacturing business at Sohna during same period. It was a surprise information for him also. During his next visit to India, I took him to our plant. I had a mind to develop some export business. Our country was facing foreign currency reserve crisis. With an honest idea to bring a little foreign currency to our country in need, I wanted to venture into it. We were in the process of moving to Faridabad and Raman being in US, situation was ideal for some export business. I took him to Sohna to see to believe that the process of our shifting had begun. I simply suggested him to identify some item to be manufactured at our end for export to US to bring some dollars to the national kitty even without making any profit. He accepted the proposal and provided with the drawing of dust hog for me to explore the possibility. He was not very hopeful to be competitive price wise with Taiwan. But we ventured into exploring with such noble cause. Initially what appeared to be a simple job, it ended into a challenge. It took us three years or more to develop the component with unexpected good amount of investment. It was a testing time at both ends. Raman kept his patience in spite of early set backs and so did we. It was a great achievement for us along with technical staff of Partap steel,who helped us by all means when our samples were reported to be near approval. At that time I was at the helm of affairs as Sandeep was totally involved with Rotaract affairs at Purulia/Calcutta. The first consignment of 6000 numbers was exported as learning process to know various formalities and to establish the whole system of export. In between Raman visited us and was very supportive through out. His staff in US and even Shashi bhabhi was of little hope about our success, but Raman kept his hopes alive. Once first lot got approved, we decided to install specific machineries needed separately in a hired shed at Muzesar, Faridabad under the name and style of LNM AUTO INDUSTRIES PVT LTD exclusively to manufacture and export various components to Raman. But quality problem persisted. And for a while it took serious nature and Raman wanted desperately to stop production. I had to intervene with a request to keep in mind for always about Sandeep’s career in future. And there after he never came with any such negative idea in spite of all odds. On the contrary he wanted to join LNM as equal partner once we got shifted to sector 59 in 1997. I left the matter to be decided in between Sandeep and Raman. We discussed all the aspects and decided to make it a joint venture. It was Raman’s great gesture to consider the initial burden backlogged due to bad quality as the training investment on Sandeep. Thus it all took shape and improvised on the path of success. The story of success under Sandeep with Raman’s full co operation is being left for Sandeep to focus some time conveniently. SANDEEP LNM group as it stands today is the result of initial unqualified persuasion and help from my jijaji sri A C Maheshwari and then continued support from Raman. But it could not have come up as it stands today without intelligent vision and untiring efforts of Sandeep. He is the third but equally important pillar on which success of LNM stands today. I find it most difficult to write about him in details in duet capacity of him being the executive director of the organization and my beloved beta. I got married when I was under twenty. It was by all means an early marriage. Marrying so early has got its advantage and disadvantage. I became free of my responsibility very early so far bringing up of children was concerned. I was privileged to see my wards growing and establishing themselves so early in life. Accordingly I could evaluate and adjust my plans. My friends are still in the process and hence are not in a position to look to personal interest and needs. I consider myself to be very fortunate in this respect. God has been so gracious to me. Ours has been very compact family. Even before family planning term invented, ours has been a planned family since generations. I too had a mind to defer family expansion as we both were too young. But God was very kind. My first birthday celebration after marriage resulted in bringing fatherhood /motherhood to us so early. I was 20 plus and Shobha was 16 when we were blessed with Sandeep on 23rd July 1966. It was Saturday noon when we got telegraphic message of Sandeep’s arrival at Nagpur. After initial celebrations we had to rush to Nagpur as delivery was performed through major surgery. I still remember the smile on Shobha’s face in hospital full of pride and contentment for motherhood, though pale as result of surgery. I could hardly look towards Sandeep wrapped in old clothes due to shyness of early parenthood. After three days I returned back. It was time now to miss both Sandeep and Shobha. Sandeep’s childhood was very calm and quiet. Shobha did not have to bother much about his bringing up. He was well taken care of by his grandmother. He used to sleep with her only. His bhua was there to play with him. We went to Darjeeling and Sikkim when he was one year old leaving him back. This was our first pleasure trip post marriage except one day’s visit to TAJ while coming back from Jodhpur and Udaipur after attending some marriage. It was like our honeymoon trip, but we missed Sandeep a lot. We were taken as Honeymoon couple by the locals. They wished us to revisit them next year with baba. I had been to Darjeeling twice there after but without Sandeep or Shobha with me. In due course he was admitted to school. For one year he was in Balbharti, a hindi medium school. Next year he was in Shiksha Niketan, an English medium school, where he continued up to class 3.Shobha used to guide him in Hindi and rest subjects were with me. He was coming up nicely but was second to Devyani who stood first always .His good performance inspired me to let him appear in country wide admission test for Ramkrishna Mission school to evaluate his aptitude. It was one of the best residential schools in West Bengal but we were never interested to put him to hostel at such tender age. He stood sixth out of 900 candidates. More over he liked the huge campus with all facility. That made us to reconsider to put him there only in class 4. He was the only vegetarian there. The quality of food never suited him. That had an adverse impact on his health. Within two years he started looking under aged. His performance was also not satisfactory. The headmaster suggested me to take him back home as he did not match the hard working routine with unsuitable food. With other advantages available, he continued there till 9th. He learnt playing various games, joined ceramic classes as hobby, won some awards for black and white photography and enjoyed his stay over there. But physically and academically he lagged behind. Reluctantly we brought him back in class 10 to prepare for finals at home with special health care and coaching. He appeared from my native school, a Hindi medium school with special permission to write in English. He did come out with first division to our satisfaction. This way his schooling was over. He was in Ramkrishna mission for six years. It was unfortunate that technically he did matriculation from Rajasthan Vidyapith, but his grooming was done at Ramkrishna mission. Its positive impact has to be there on his later life. He could get better exposure there. Its system was based on typical Bengali culture. All wards had to participate in evening prayer with dhoti kurta as dress code. Student from all over India including the north eastern part was there to develop cross sectional contact and friendship. He was admitted to Mohta Science College at Nagpur for higher secondary. He had hard time to settle there initially. He wanted to come back to Purulia to join commerce in local college. But I practically forced him to continue there. He might have different view and might have faired well in commerce. But presently his performance in managing engineering unit and understanding its commercial aspect make me satisfied for my decision. He passed with first division though. He did his engineering from Y C College of Engineering, Nagpur subsequently. Sandeep was away from us for twelve good years. For six years he was in hostel at Ramkrishna mission, Purulia. He was with his maternal family at Nagpur for two years doing higher secondary. For next four years he was in hostel at Nagpur while doing engineering. The college was new without adequate facilities. I have little idea about his life during that period. But we had a grand tour of south India during his higher secondary vacations. It is the only trip, I remember that we four myself, Shobha, Sandeep and Sangeet could take up together so far. I t was a wonderful achievement and pleasant experience. Keeping only son so away for so long was a risky preposition. It might have reduced his attachment with family. I had no alternative to provide him better exposures. We were not satisfied with his performance after so much sacrifice made by all family members. But later on I realized the favor God had bestowed out of this. With expected high results, we must have opted for his higher studies abroad with all resources at our disposal. It might have ended in his settlement there around as Raman did. Fortunately his attachment with family remained intact in spite of living away for so many years. That is the point of great satisfaction for all of us. As the time of his return to Purulia approached, I was anxious for suitable career. With his electronic background, I tried to explore into computer education business but perhaps Purulia was not matured for this up coming business. We were interested in his marriage negotiation also simultaneously. With my experience of leadership through Rotary, I inspired him to join Rotaract club for necessary exposure to learn lessons of leadership, friendship and fellowship through Rotary concept. And that resulted in to very positive turning point in his life. He could learn and provide very dynamic leadership at club and also at district level. Gradually he moved up the ladder and became DRR through election at Calcutta. This district consists of clubs in West Bengal and Nepal. He had opportunity to travel through out, meet cross section of people, develop useful contacts and learn a lot through meeting Rotary leaders. He had to be away from business and family for more than two years. But the outcome was worth taking these efforts. He did it with full dedication and devotion. He managed the district affair in very systematic way done never before. His tenure is still remembered as an icon in the district. Sandeep returned from Nagpur in 1988, got married on 30th November 1989. Our factory got installed at Sohna on 12th September 1989 and we took over its management from 1st January 1990. But Sandeep could finally take over from me in June 1995 after his Rotaract assignment being successfully over. In between he was blessed with Sameep on 26th August 1991 and Sangeet got married to Sumant on 3rd December 1991. We had two units at that time. At Sohna unit, we used to machine tractor components for Partap steel which itself was not doing well. At mujesar we used to manufacture dust hog for exports. Both units were not running smoothly. There after it is only Sandeep’s efforts at this end that made LNM to prosper up to this level. He brought both the units at our newly purchased shed in sector 59 for smooth management since 1st April 1997. We began with MALL MACHINE SHOP at Sohna. That was merged with our second unit in the name of LNM AUTO INDUSTRIES PVT LTD. Later we floated another company in the name of LNM EXPORTS PVT LTD. We began with machining of tractor components at Sohna but switched over to export of dust hogs to US. Our export in first year was to the tune of Rs .eighteen lakh only. Within four years we could achieve export of hundred lakh. In the process we could develop many challenging components for export and for some automobile industries like LML ltd .Gradually we expanded our unit by purchasing attached sheds to increase our capacity. We further upgraded our convention machines to CNC and VMC’s. We took ISO 9001 certification for quality and system maintenance. Further we put whole system under ERP which was very aggressive innovation so far unit of our size was concerned. It was only Sandeep’s vision that we moved forward in such a way well ahead of current need to get ready to meet the future demand. Meanwhile he had his first US trip to have first hand knowledge of working over seas though Raman was taking care of all at that end. Very soon he was to US again to explore direct contacts with some new buyers. And then he started almost annual visit to US. It was entirely his efforts that made us bring home Kennametal contracts through international biding. It was an experience and achievement of its own kind. He explored attending various industrial fairs. It brought very positive response. In fact, his working was based on transparency and honesty. He maintained very friendly and helping relation with business associates. That helped convincingly in bringing very positive results. Keeping an eye on future expansion, we bought a land of around 10000 sq .meter located very near to our plant. And soon he began working on his dream project of heat treatment facilities in house. Our turn over could go up to 20 crores. On my part, I enjoyed all these positive development witnessing him working so successfully and sharing all so closely. It was my dream that got fulfilled through his efforts. I am not only satisfied with his top class career but with all around development of our supporting units too. My contribution was limited to support him and encourage him positively. I am privileged to share his office through out. That provided me a regular opportunity to see his dealings with suppliers, buyers and working staff. I could never imagine a better career for him than the prevailing one. And I understand he owes a lot to Ramkrishna mission culture and Rotary leadership training to develop these skills. In a way it is in our family tradition too. In the process he enjoyed full co operation of his working staff. On technical matters Mr. B D Joshi, our plant manager’s support is worth mention. He is with us since we ventured in to exports business taking all developments as challenge with positive results. Life never runs on straight line only, as Sandeep used to say at times. Our business also went through rough waters. But he faced it with patience and courage keeping his morale always high. When shutters got down at business and family front simultaneously, he fought with the situation convincingly. Business was down due to fluid situation in US post World Trade Tower attack .At the same time, Shobha was under treatment for breast cancer for nine months. The family could stand and come out of the dreadful situation on his firm stance along with others. In fact it was his persuasion that brought the whole family to Faridabad from Purulia. Otherwise this story of success would have been closed mid way. On 19th November 1995, we started construction of our house at Faridabad .He looked after the construction as well as building of business which was not in good shape single handedly. Before that we lived in a rented two room flat till 1997 since our arrival at Faridabad in 1990. We did our house warming on 19th May 1997 and moved into it 0n 6th July same year. There after it was his great effort to convince Babuji to move into this house leaving all his associates and contacts at Purulia. That was a big step to stabilize our family status here. We have been enjoying this status of four generations living under one roof since then. It is a great contribution by him. More over it was his honest dealing and family rapport that convinced Raman to have his house next door and Goura and family to move here from Jhumeritelaiya and Champoo Dinoo to have business establishment here along with education. To me he is the true representative of Thakurdasji’s dynasty. That is why I consider LNM to be a learning organization. Creating a learning organization is not easy. Leading such organization is more difficult, I think. One has to be action oriented and vigilant at all time spending hours and days in maintaining consistency and stability while moving forward. He has to be on toes to focus on future vision, to set up goals and ways to achieve them. It needed full devotion and that forced to compromise at other levels. Other priorities such as towards children, family, hobby, personal life and recreation etc might get lost, I apprehend. To some extent this happened to him. Though I was always alert to focus its importance in life and to my satisfaction Sandeep could remain in touch to those needs but not up to satisfaction. It is important to recognize the contribution of parents, spouse, children and family but he has to sacrifice something very important in course of building future. Creating without claiming, doing without taking credit, guiding without interfering is the prime virtue, Babuji reminds to me at times. And Sandeep is follower of this virtue.

No comments: