Wednesday, August 6, 2008

PATRIOTIC AWARENESS & EMOTIONS

Other day we celebrated Independence Day. It rained through out the day. Rain on this great day is considered to be very auspicious. I visualize a great future for our great country and countrymen including myself on this occasion of rededication. Biology tells us that our emotions are chemicals which are released by brain. How ever over time, these emotions create an impact over our mind and body. I was born at Calcutta, two years before our independence. Babuji was in a public meeting being addressed by Dr. Rajendra Prasad at Purulia when this message of my birth was communicated to him. That is why some of near ones would call me RAJENDRA in childhood. I was too young to understand the meaning of FREEDOM when our country attained it. I grew to some understanding during post independence period which was charged with the sacrifices made by great leaders. Leaders like Gandhiji, Nehruji, Dr.Rajendra Prasad, Dr.B C Roy, Mrs.Sarojini Nayadu, Rajaji, Dr.S K Singh and others were respected next to God. Newspapers, magazines books including text books of that period were full of stories about their struggle for freedom. Naturally my primary education began under that very influence. I had developed great respect for the then leaders. I had an urge to see them or have DARSHAN of some of them. I remember my attending the regional congress session held in Purulia at an early age of 7/8 years. I went to a near by town to see Sri Vinoba Bhave who was on country wide tour just out of respect and regards as freedom fighter and national leader without understanding much about the movement. Gandhiji was shot dead before I came to an age of understanding about his contribution. But I remember of having his picture fixed up on my study table since I was in class seven. Later on I placed a photograph of Pandit Nehru by his side. I had a great desire to see Nehruji under whom national building was under progress. He came to Ranchi to lay down the foundation stone of HEC plant but he left the site moments before I could reach there. It remained an unfulfilled desire for ever as he died within three years and I could not have any other opportunity to see him. He died when I was amongst my final B.Sc examination. Very late in life I could read Gandhiji’s autobiography and Nehruji’s Glimpses of History. But I had developed great respect for them as a child. They are no more around us, but basic work done by them guides us to prosperity. Quite early, as a child I had gone to see Sindri fertilizer plant and Bhakhra Nangal dam during its construction in early sixties. Those were some of the projects which were described as modern temples by Nehruji. Later I had visited Gandhiji’s Sabarmati and Wardha Ashram also with great interest and respect. It was a significant day in my life when I got an opportunity to contribute one day’s hard work at the HEC site to National Defense Fund as symbolic participation in nation building. It was a period of awakening to safe guard the just earned freedom. Though defeat in war against Chinese shattered our confidence level, we stood firm as a nation. During and after war, nationalism got deep rooted in our mind and heart. I was in Ranchi studying in St. Xavier’s college when Chinese aggression took place. We would be around radio to know all about war news. In particular we would tune BBC for authentic news. Very discouraging news were pouring in from the front. We had to retreat from post after post with heavy causalities. In fact we were not prepared for this unexpected war. Perhaps we including our leaders thought about safety of our boundaries naturally being surrounded with sea on three sides and the mighty Himalayas to protect from the north. We caught unguarded when Himalaya got invaded. Though our army fought the war with great brevity without being adequately equipped but we lost the war. There was tremendous loss of life and we were not at all a match to the mighty Chinese. That made our morale too low. Our prayer could not work as God helps them who help themselves. Post war situation was heart breaking. We did not have appropriate facilities to nourish our wounded soldiers. As soldiers from Ramgarh cantonment were on the front line, they suffered the most. We could hear the true stories of war from the soldiers directly with Ranchi being so close to Ramgarh. Their efforts and devotion was unparallel though we lost the war. But there was a silver lining in that loss. The country as a whole stood firm to build the nation afresh. In one such evening I saw a gathering on street of Purulia. It was being addressed by a popular regional leader regarding the war and current situation there after. She shared all factual information about war with the audience. It was enough for the audience to get carried away with national sentiments and feelings. She made an appeal at the end to come forward to contribute by any means to support the nation building cause such as blood donation for wounded soldiers, clothes and blankets, cash to National Defense Fund etc. She approached one and all to donate. I was at a loss as I did not have a single penny in my pocket. Suddenly I found that I was wearing a golden chain. I gave it to her for deposit to National defense fund to be utilized for the welfare of army. She blessed me by petting my cheeks. I was then only sixteen years old. My friend Shiwji was with me. He narrated everything to Babuji back home. Babuji and all got satisfied at my timely positive action. That was the experience of first such war which we lost. It was a great shock. Every sensible citizen was distressed and was ready to make sacrifices within his limitations for the nation. India as a nation was once again so united after independence. Fresh policies were taken up to build the nation and its lost glory and confidence. But perhaps Pt.Nehru could not come out of this tragedy and was down with ill health and ultimately died on 27th May 1964. An era was over with this. Shashtriji became prime minister after Nehruji’s death. There was vast difference in both personalities. Shashtriji got an opportunity to prove his leadership soon. He led the country successfully during 1965 conflict with Pakistan. It could have been a decisive victory but we had to negotiate with Pakistan under international pressure. Unfortunately Shashtriji died at Taskend itself during summit in January 1966. During Shashtriji’s regim, after the 1965 war, a scheme named GOLD BOND 1980 was announced to support the welfare of army and the nation as a whole. The country needed Gold for army’s international purchases. An appeal was made to the public to deposit gold or gold ornaments through this instrument to be refunded as gold in 1980. I convinced Babuji to respond to this `appeal. We contributed one kilogram of gold ornament which was duly refunded in due time after fifteen years. I was the only such depositor in Purulia. People had apprehensions about its refund. My intention was to come forward to serve the need of country in my own limited and humble way. Nehruji died before I could have an opportunity to see him though it was one of the most cherished desires. I did not take a chance like that again. Immediately after 1965 war when Shashtriji came to Calcutta to address a public meeting, I went there to see him. I stood for hours to see him while moving from airport to Rajbhawan through VIP road and later attended his public meeting. It was one of the largest gatherings in Calcutta so far. I responded to his appeal of observing fast on Monday for many years. Shashtriji’s sudden and unfortunate death brought Smt.Indira Gandhi in the helm of Indian politics. She became prime minister in January 1966 against all odds. Though the 1965 war was won, the country was under grim economic condition. More over large area was under grip of famine with scanty rains resulting in crop failures. People died of hunger and malnutrition. Behar and adjoining area of Purulia was very adversely affected. In our limited capacity we tried to run cheap canteens at different places to supply cooked food and medicines to the needy. I was actively associated with the District Merchant’s association of Purulia with involvement in such projects. Indiraji had to face tough situation to start with. She appeared to be a weak prime minister initially. Her only credential was that she was daughter of Pt.Nehru. She planned a visit to Purulia to look into the famine condition personally. It was maiden visit by any prime minister to this one of the most backward region. Thus I could have an instant opportunity to see her from very close at Purulia Circuit house. Though she did not enjoy full majority in parliament and senior leaders of congress were against her and her policies, I personally developed an esteem admiration for her. She was tactically pulling on her government under difficult situation. There after she developed conflict with so called Syndicate members within her party. She fought against them politically with courage and determination by nationalizing banks and coal mines, removing privy purses and devaluing rupee in international market. Those were very courageous steps to earn confidence of masses. She brought green revolution to increase agricultural production in the country. In due course she could present her self as a very brave leader who could act decisively in hours of crisis. She became an ideal leader in my eyes too. Soon the East Pakistan crisis erupted. And the way she led the country in 1971 war, she became a self made and most esteemed leader. With positive result of green revolution the country could sustain the burden of refugees from East Pakistan. There were refugee camps in and around Purulia too. She again visited Purulia to look into their plight personally. So I got another chance to see her. Now she was a leader in command of country and situation. My esteem respect for her went on and on. I started taking more interest in such affairs. I came into contact with our MP Sri Devendranath Mahato. I was a regular visitor to the local congress office when ever he was there. Indiraji was addressing a public meeting at Calcutta to share her views on the situation after her world tour to explain our position to the world leaders when Pakistan dared to attack us. She rushed to Delhi and took charge of the situation. She led the country from the front without any fear of intervention of world powers. She did not care for the seventh fleet of US and achieved what she intended to achieve out of the war. She changed the world geography and Bangladesh was born. We won the war with 93000 Pakistani soldiers’ surrender to Indian army. Indiraji led us to victory and our brave army brought us the glory. Within a span of ten years I could witness three wars with great interest and little involvement that must have instilled some nationalism into me and my thoughts. The war, though won had adverse impact on economy and social condition of country. Serving Bangladeshi refugees for months in addition to cost of war was to have its impact sooner or later. But the nation stood united. Morale of army and people at large was on top. People came forward of their own to support by all means for the welfare of army and rebuilding of nation as a whole. I, through District Merchant’s Association took initiative to collect some fund amongst the members to contribute to National Defense Fund. We proposed to contribute silver equivalent to Indiraji’s weight to NDF. A resolution to this effect was sent to her through Sri Sidharth Shankar Roy with a request for her visit to Purulia. Meanwhile general election was announced considering the positive impact of the situation for the Congress. I was in Delhi on way to Bikaner when Indiraji’s program for Purulia was communicated to me. I attended her public meetings at Delhi and Bikaner and then rushed to Purulia. Arrangement was made to purchase 54 kilograms of silver from Calcutta. My name was proposed to the ministry, local administration and IB as the representative of people of Purulia to perform the presentation. Purulia was under the influence of left politics. Babuji was warned of the consequences of my sharing the platform with Indira Gandhi as Naxalites and CPI M might take it otherwise. But Babuji was very clear in his mind. Death comes once, he told me. He suggested me to go ahead to meet my ideal most leader, if I felt so all about. That great occasion arrived. The meeting was held at around 11 am, a few miles away from town. Babuji and other family members had to walk a lot to be amongst huge gathering. She flew into the site by a helicopter accompanying with Sri Sidharth Shankar Roy and other leaders. She took a round of the gathering on an open Zeep with folded hands amongst Indira Gandhi Zindabad slogans and climbed upon the highly erected platform very fast, to address the huge public. I was enchanted by her great personality. I got nervous when my name was called to present her with silver equivalent to her weight as a gesture on behalf of people of Purulia. For me, the existence of world was over when she stretched her hands towards me with smiles. I could not dare to reciprocate and hold her hands. I could only fold my hands to NAMASKAR her with gratitude. I could not listen what she whispered to me. She then addressed the public, asked them to vote for Congress in the ensuing election, rushed towards the helicopter standing and waiving on board the vehicle and flew in to the blue sky. Though I had repentance for my nervousness that debarred me of having the privilege of hand shaking with her but those were the most remarkable moments of my life. Indiraji won the election. Thereafter the happenings that led to her upsurge and down fall are not to be dealt with here. She bounced back in 1980 election. Unfortunately her younger son Sanjay died in air crash. She was broken in heart but faced the situation with great courage and patience. Thereafter her elder son Rajeev was promoted and groomed as the next leader though with initial hesitation and unwillingness .He was inducted into the Congress and was made one of its general secretaries. He went on a tour across India as grooming step. As part of that plan, he came to Purulia by a special train. I attended all his programs there. I was at the station amongst the welcome crowd. He went through Purulia main road to MSA ground where a public meeting was arranged .His caravan was made to stop for moments in front of our house for garlanding. Everyone got enchanted by his charm and gifted beauty. He too reciprocated with his innocent smiles. Later I attended his meeting. He made a brief address. He stayed overnight there and left for Bankura and Midnapur early next morning. It was 30th October. On the same day her mother Indiraji was on tour to Orissa. She mentioned at Bhubneshwar public meeting about the danger to her life after the operation Blue star and her readiness to sacrifice herself for the welfare of country. She returned back to Delhi in night and was shot dead by her guards very next morning. Rajeevji was informed about this unfortunate incidence by Pranav Mukherjee near Bankura and was rushed to Delhi via Kalaikunda. Though Indiraji died on spot, it was declared very late for the country and administration to be ready to face the situation. I felt like personal tragedy when it was officially announced in the evening. Purulians too took it like that as Rajeevji charmed it the previous day. I was personally happy and satisfied that Rajeev Gandhi was made the prime minister following her death. With Indiraji’s death, an era was gone .She was the longest serving prime minister. We might not appreciate some of her policies and action. But she was true follower of some of the virtues instilled by her father in childhood. He wrote in his letter to her: Be brave and full of the spirit of adventure without fear of the consequences. The only way to enjoy life was to be fearless and not to worry about defeat and disaster. It is indeed wonderful that we are the heirs of all such great leaders. Rajeev Gandhi took over as a young and inexperienced leader amongst the chaos that followed Indiraji’s assassination. Soon he announced for general election to cash in sympathy waive. He led the Congress to win the election with never-before-attained majority. He brought youth and freshness in politics. He introduced some kind of transparency in the system. Leadership appeared to be in-born material in him. That was visible in his first Meet the Press program during his first US visit as prime minister. He appeared to be promising leader to take India into 21st century with new, fresh and broad vision. But he was not a season politician. He made some blunders and had to pay dearly. He could not match the seasoned and established old guards and lost the next election. But a new era of fast track communication and open economy was already introduced by him during his tenure. His losing results were being announced over TV when we were celebrating Sandeep’s marriage party at Purulia. It was disheartening though. He performed his duty as leader of opposition for two years and was on election tour when he was assassinated. We were in Delhi when we got this sad information at mid night. It became difficult to consol Sangeet who became great admirer of him. She had made some correspondence with him earlier and he very kindly favored her by sending an autographed photograph of himself. Once when he visited Purulia, he had signed on the scrap book for Sangeet during his meeting with members of Rotary club of Purulia. It is, no doubt a great contribution by a single family towards nation building with Motilalji,Panditji, Indiraji and Rajeevji – four generations in row in helms of national duty in their own way. It is a way that history is made and we are fortunate to witness its making and to take some part in person. It has given a positive direction to life. My decision to switch over to manufacturing and in particular to export business to bring foreign currency into the country in little humble way when it was most needed ,is a kind of patriotic awakening, I consider.

No comments: